Sunday 4 January 2009

Here I am going to talk about what is a good design for users.

This is the result I learned from Diana's slide, because after learning that slide, I found that I have learned a lot.

As Diana said, a good design contains three parts: User centred approach, multidisciplinary perspective and interactive design cycles.

Due to our digital photo frame, I wanna have a explain about them:

User centred approach: this means we should put users to be the first of our product, our mainly users are elder people, so we should consider what they need most, so the methods like interview, focus group or questionaires are needed, from these approaches we can get their feedbacks of requirements. Through these feedbacks we can then design the products which fits their expectation. Elder people usually don't know how to use computers, so the design should be as simple as possible, we have tried that many other functions but they do not fit to our users: elder people, so we choose to be simple at last.

Multidisciplinary perspective: this means that there should be a wide technology designing group, in our 3 people group, I think we did our best in role play, Susan is good at drawing, and Gramham has wide experience of presentation and talking in public conferences, and my advantage is good at computing, so we decided that Susan draw a prototype, Gramham using Powerpoint, and I use Flash CS3, which makes our digital photo frame got different forms of prototypes.

Interactive design cycles: here I would like to show the diagram of design cycles by Diana

Actually we followed this cycle in our designing. When we choose that our designing is a digital photo frame, we have been to many search engines to see the existing technologies and see whether our idea is new, this is just a example, we’ve done some other explorations of our design, in prototyping part, we’ve used three different prototypes to make our design. After all the evaluation and test part, we test our prototypes to users in order to see whether they feel it useful or not, after testing we get some evaluations from the testing.

At last, I like the following diagram very much:




this is really a very good warning to my design in Flash, cause I always want to make things complicated, and thought that the more functions mean more good feedbacks. But from this diagram I found my point is false.

No comments: